Skip To Content

Capital History Ottawa #colourized

Capital History: Premier Hat Shops, 1912 to 1970

As the pluralized name suggests, they were indeed a chain, with a second location at 209 Bank Street, right on the northeast corner of Nepean Street. Premier Hats was founded in 1912 by the delightfully named Samuel Gluck, his first store opening on an opposite corner of Bank and Nepean.

Capital History: When the circus came to town, Ottawa 1907

Ashley Newall’s “Capital History Ottawa” (#colourized) has been chronicling past scenes in the city through his newly colourized photos and accompanying factoids. The project’s home is on Twitter, but once a month, a more in-depth piece delving into the stories behind the pics will be published here on Apt613.