613TV takes you beyond the rhinestones and feathers to find out more about Ottawa’s burlesque scene.
Did you know Ottawa has a booming burlesque scene? Two annual festivals and tons of one-off and regular shows in town are all signs of a hot scene which has been growing for decades and evolving to incorporate new styles, quirks and now… cameras.
The 613TV crew hit up House of TARG for a burlesque night hosted by local performer Sassy Muffin and featuring an intriguing variety of sets by burlesque, boylesque, and belly dancing performers. It’s not uncommon to see live music or circus acts either.
“The burlesque scene in Ottawa is really big and it’s continuing to grow,” says performer and producer Shade Nyx. “It’s amazing. It’s very diverse. Every show in Ottawa is very special—each burlesque event and every producer does a great job.
“Ottawa burlesque celebrates diversity, it celebrates all body types, it’s very body positive, I find it very inclusive”
See below for a list of upcoming shows to watch for, regular shows, venues and festivals. Leave a comment if there’s something missing and we’ll add it soon.
- April 14, 2018: Vermouth & Sane Productions Present: “Pinup Paradise!” @ Backdrop Restaurant & Bar (160 Metcalfe St)
- May 5, 2018: Shade Nyx’s Theatre Macabre Presents: “April Shows Bring May Flowers!” @ House of TARG (1077 Bank St)
- May 27, 2018: Cabaret LIVE! @ LIVE! On Elgin (220 Elgin St)
- June 30, 2018: Frisque Femme Productions Presents: “Cinematic Curves” @ Arts Court Theatre (2 Daly Ave)
- An Evening of Sin – Second/Last Tuesdays @ The Rainbow
- Burlesque Wednesdays Presented by Rhapsody Blue – Wednesdays @ The Bourbon Room
- Cabaret LIVE! – Last Sundays bi-monthly @ LIVE! on Elgin
- Capital Tease Burlesque – First Fridays @ Fatboys Southern Smokehouse
- Shade Nyx’s Theatre Macabre – Bi-monthly @ House of TARG
- Arts Court (2 Daly Ave)
- Avant-Garde Bar (135½ Besserer St)
- Backdrop Restaurant & Bar (160 Metcalfe St)
- Fatboys Southern Smokehouse (34 Murray St)
- House of TARG (1077 Bank St)
- Kinki Lounge & Kitchen (41 York St)
- LIVE! On Elgin (220 Elgin St)
- The Rainbow (76 Murray St)
- The Bourbon Room (400 Dalhousie St)
- Capital Burlesque Expo (April 20–22, 2018)
- Ottawa International Burlesque Festival (October 12–13, 2018)
In an Ottawa Minute we’ll explore corners of the city you may have never visited and niche scenes from indie wrestling to fringe theatre, burlesque, the escape room boom, new breweries and offbeat events. So, not “niche” in the sense that niche tastes will be required… but this is probably the kinda stuff you’d have to hear about from a friend. Subscribe to Apt613 on YouTube for new episodes.