The Ottawa Arts Council announced the recipients of its annual Arts Awards last night during an event at the Ottawa Little Theatre. This year’s laureates and finalists included founder and director of SPAO Michael Tardioli, stage manager and arts administrator Lydia Talajic, and Inuk tattoo artist Aedan Corey.
Each year, the Ottawa Arts Council places a call out to the greater arts community to secure nominations for the seven awards distributed annually:
- The Victor Tolgesy Award, which recognizes the accomplishments of residents who have contributed substantially to enriching cultural life in our city.
- The Peter Honeywell Mid-Career Artist Award, recognizing and encouraging the achievements of Ottawa artists of all disciplines who have evolved beyond the emerging stage in their career to become recognized professional working artists contributing to the community.
- The Emerging IBPOC Artist Award, which recognizes the achievements of artists of all disciplines from Ottawa’s IBPoC (Indigenous, Black, and Persons of Colour) community who are in the early stages of their career in the arts and are working towards becoming recognized professional artists.
- The Project X Photography Award, designed to recognize the merits of a publicly presented photographic project by an Ottawa-based artist.
- New this year, the Community Arts Educator Award, which recognizes excellence in community arts education and the accomplishments of artists who provide unique and creative learning experiences that inspire future generations and community art projects.
Project-based awards include the Corel Endowment for the Arts Award, a future-oriented award that encourages evolution, innovation, creativity, and excellence of artists working on new initiatives in all art disciplines in Ottawa; and the Young Artist Award, which is a mentorship award established to support young Ottawa artists 14–17 years old.
The 2022 Arts Awards Recipients
Victor Tolgesy Award: Lydia Talajic, stage manager and arts administrator
Peter Honeywell Mid-Career Artist Award: Don Kwan, visual artist (Finalists: Anna Frlan, visual artist; Khaleefa “Apollo the Child” Hamdan, poet)
Emerging IBPOC Artist Award: Laurena Finéus, visual artist (Finalists: Aedan Corey, poet and traditional tattoo artist; Jordan “JFUN” David, DJ and music producer)
Project X, Photography Award: Angelina Barrucco, photographer (Honourable Mentions: Stéphane Alexis, photographer; Ava Margueritte, photographer)
Corel Endowment for the Arts Award: Willem Deisinger, multidisciplinary artist
Young Artist Award: Jude Peter, filmmaker
Community Arts Educator Award: Michael Tardioli, printmaker and photographer
Nominations were evaluated by a peer assessment group composed of arts leaders in the community representing different artistic disciplines, in addition to having an equity advisor oversee a portion of the deliberations.
View this post on Instagram