Final Update (August 14):
We have a winner! See the results of our first annual Ottawa’s Best Home Garden contest.
Update (July 31):
Voting has opened! There are two ways to vote:
Vote for your single favourite garden with this google form = 1 vote per person.
Follow @bestgarden613 on Instagram to see multiple angles and close-up photos. Every post you *like* = 1 vote. There’s a photo gallery for each garden on our shortlist.
Update (July 24):
We’re pleased to announce this shortlist of 20 local gardeners that will go to the finals for Ottawa’s Best Home Garden!
Thanks to feedback from everyone who submitted photos (94 entries) we are already planning the 2nd annual contest for 2022.
Voting for Ottawa’s Best Home Garden 2021 opens on July 31. We’ll announce the grand prize winner on Apt613.ca on August 14.
The winner of Ottawa’s most beautiful home garden will receive a $250 gift card prize. See below for contest details!
During its time as ByTown and then throughout its modern period as Ottawa, the Capital city attracted a diverse population of labourers, lumber barons and political elite. As a result, many neighbourhoods, not limited to Vanier, Centretown and the Glebe, are home to mansions and beautiful Victorian era gardens. Gardens in these parts of town are a unique element to a modern city. Tying into the Tulip Festival and waterways, we know Ottawa has a green thumb that is modestly unacknowledged—despite the unique character it imposes upon our neighbourhoods.
This summer, Apt613 is thrilled to launch Ottawa’s Best Home Garden, an initiative aimed at showcasing Ottawa’s green thumb and fine folks who are augmenting the beauty of our city.
The winners of Ottawa’s Best Home Garden contest will receive:
- Top Prize (ballot): One $250 gift card for Robert Plante Greenhouses
- Bonus Prizes (raffle): One of five $50 gift cards for Robert Plante Greenhouses or Ritchie Feed & Seed garden centres
It’s a grassroots contest organized by volunteers at Apartment613—really for fun, because we don’t have a garden! A generous donation by fans of the blog at Edelman meant we could purchase these gift card prizes from local garden centres.
How it works
By July 11, 2021, please register to be eligible for prizes. We need to confirm your address is within Ottawa city limits, however Apt613 will never publish your full name and home address.
You’ll be asked to attach up to three recent photos of your garden. Original photos should be taken this year (2021) which we will be able verify in the file metadata.
On July 12, 2021, Apt613 will raffle 5 x $50 gift cards to eligible participants. This will be a random draw of names from a hat.
By July 23, 2021, Apt613 will publish a shortlist of outstanding entries. Readers, Apt613 writers and gardeners will have the opportunity to vote for Ottawa’s Best Home Garden, the recipient of our grand prize ($250 gift card).
The grand prize winner ($250 gift card) is announced on Apt613.ca on August 14, 2021.
Rules and eligibility
- This contest is open to all residents of Ottawa who complete this registration form during the contest period.
- To qualify as a resident of Ottawa, entrants must have a postal code within Ottawa city limits. Here is the map of Ottawa if you’re unsure. Sorry, Arnprior!
- Your home garden photos are taken in 2021. We will check the metadata information on digital photos to confirm. (If you are shooting with a DSLR or smartphone camera, this metadata is automatically included—no action required.)
- Anyone wishing to enter the contest must meet the eligibility requirements and complete the registration form. Only one entry is allowed per person.
- Entrants acknowledge that they have read and understood the contest rules.
- Apartment613 is not responsible for any and all liability arising from participants’ participation in the contest or from the acceptance of any prize.
- Apartment613 reserves the right to cancel the contest or modify the contest rules if fraud or technical failure threatens to destroy the integrity of the contest.
Protection of personal information and consent
In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) any personal information that Apartment613 collects, including through a contest, will be handled in a confidential manner by authorized staff for the purpose for which it was collected. Apartment613 will collect and maintain the information provided by entrants in order to send messages regarding the contest. Apartment613 will not disclose personal information to third parties, except as required by law or a court. By entering this contest, entrants agree to such us of their personal information.