In 2022, we are doing it again! Last summer, Apt613 launched Ottawa’s Best Home Garden, an initiative aimed at showcasing Ottawa’s green thumb and fine folks who are augmenting the beauty of our city.
During its time as ByTown and then throughout its modern period as Ottawa, the Capital city attracted a diverse population of labourers, lumber barons and political elite. As a result, many neighbourhoods, not limited to Vanier, Centretown and the Glebe, are home to mansions and beautiful Victorian-era gardens. Gardens in these parts of town are a unique element of a modern city. Tying into the Tulip Festival and waterways, we know Ottawa has a green thumb that is modestly unacknowledged—despite the unique character it imposes upon our neighbourhoods.
What’s new in 2022?
This year, we are thrilled to expand the #BestGarden613 contest. Gardeners now have the entire summer, starting from May 4th and until August to submit their gardens at their best. Capture your early peony blooms or the full blossom of your July flowers.
Another new update is a new category for balcony gardens. Let’s be honest, comparing backyard gardens to balcony gardens is like comparing apples to oranges. So this year we will be voting for backyard and front yard gardens separately from balcony gardens.
All in all, Ottawa’s Best Home Garden is a grassroots contest organized by volunteers at Apartment613—really for fun, because we don’t have a garden!
The 2022 #BestGarden613 Timeline
*NEW* Aug 21, 2022: Contest submission deadline.
Week of September 5: Shortlist announced on Apt613.ca and public voting begins.
Sept 15, 2022: Winners of the grand prizes in their respective categories will be announced on Apt613.ca.
The winners of Ottawa’s Best Home Garden contest will receive
- Top Prize (ballot): One $250 gift card for Robert Plante Greenhouses for the winners in each category
- Bonus Prizes (raffle): Every contest entrant has a chance to win one of five $50 gift cards for Ritchie Feed & Seed, which will be selected by a random draw
How it works
Starting with May 4th, you will be able to register your backyard OR balcony garden to be eligible for prizes. We will need to confirm your address is within Ottawa city limits, however, Apt613 will never publish your full name and home address. Registration is now open! Register your garden here.
You’ll be asked to attach up to three recent photos of your garden. Original photos should be taken this year (2022) which we will be able to verify in the file metadata. You are welcome to submit your garden either early on or late in the summer. Or both.
The grand prize winners (prizes to be announced) are announced on Apt613.ca on September 15, 2022.
Thank you to our generous 2022 sponsors!
- Edelman Global Advisory Canada
- Maker House Co.
- Robert Plante Greenhouses
- Ritchie Feed & Seed Inc.
- Gardens Ottawa
- Year of the Garden 2022
- The Urban Botanist
Rules and eligibility
- This contest is open to all residents of Ottawa who complete the registration form during the contest period.
- To qualify as a resident of Ottawa, entrants must have a postal code within Ottawa city limits. Here is the map of Ottawa if you’re unsure. Sorry, Arnprior!
- Your home garden photos are taken in 2022. We will check the metadata information on digital photos to confirm. (If you are shooting with a DSLR or smartphone camera, this metadata is automatically included—no action required.)
- Anyone wishing to enter the contest must meet the eligibility requirements and complete the registration form. Only one entry is allowed per person.
- Entrants acknowledge that they have read and understood the contest rules.
- Apartment613 is not responsible for any and all liability arising from participants’ participation in the contest or from the acceptance of any prize.
- Apartment613 reserves the right to cancel the contest or modify the contest rules if fraud or technical failure threatens to destroy the integrity of the contest.
Registration is now open! Register your garden here.
Protection of personal information and consent
In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) any personal information that Apartment613 collects, including through a contest, will be handled in a confidential manner by authorized staff for the purpose for which it was collected. Apartment613 will collect and maintain the information provided by entrants in order to send messages regarding the contest. Apartment613 will not disclose personal information to third parties, except as required by law or a court. By entering this contest, entrants agree to such use of their personal information.