You’re digging into Pt. 1 of this series. Listen to more “Best Of 2020” playlists here.
In 2020, Apt613.ca music writers launched #ottmusic weekly to promote new music releases by Ottawa-Gatineau artists. Basically a “release radar” for locally-made music. Our Spotify playlist is a tight two hours of tunes, updated every weekend and published on Mondays.
All in all, the team curated more than 100 songs for #ottmusic weekly (as new tracks are added at the top, older tracks are removed from the playlist) and in this final week of 2020 we’re thrilled to share Apt613’s top choices in five “Best Of” playlists. You’re digging into Pt. 1 of this series. Listen to more “Best Of 2020” playlists here.
Before the pandemic, you were as likely to hear these artists play live at Pressed, Bar Robo, maybe Irene’s Pub or Black Squirrel Books, often on an acoustic or electric guitar with a rhythm section crammed onto the small stage. These days you’re more likely to hear the real thing on CKCU, CHUO, or a living room livestream.
We know there are many in (and from) Ottawa, but we would like to introduce you to 14 singer-songwriters (both established and emerging) who offered up new music in 2020. Music that speaks to your soul, heals your heart, and feels like you feel. Enjoy an hour of our favourite songs of 2020 penned by Ottawa’s singer-songwriters.
- “Options Open” by Kathleen Edwards [Bandcamp]
- “Heavy Nights” by Evening Hymns [Bandcamp]
- “Tithes” by Michael C. Duguay [Bandcamp]
- “Whoa” by Gianna Lauren [Bandcamp]
- “Alive and Well” by Jasmine Trails [Bandcamp]
- “These Walls” by MACK & BEN [Bandcamp]
- “You of Us” by Isaac Vallentin [Bandcamp]
- “L.O.V.E.” by Kimberly Sunstrum [Bandcamp]
- “ShotAnothaDown” by Nambi [Apple Music]
- “School Girl” by Akeem Oh [Bandcamp]
- “fake flowers” by summersets [Bandcamp]
- “I Used to Be a Singer” by Michael Feuerstack [Bandcamp]
- “Rich in Time” by Jack Pine and the Fire [Bandcamp]
- “Bowl of Soup” by Zoe Towne [Bandcamp]