This is Pt. 2 in a series. Listen to more “Best Of 2020” playlists here.
These are some of our favourite local releases discovered through the #ottmusic weekly playlist on Spotify. If you hear something you like, consider buying a record or digital download directly from the artists—the people who give Ottawa its “music city” potential.
Flow & Poetry
Ready for fire Ottawa beats? This is the “Best Of 2020” playlist for you if you are into rap, hip hop, spoken word, and r&b. Enjoy the lyrical flow and sweet trap beats. Great for working out, driving, and having a serious party in your living room.
The artists we’re introducing in this genre-spanning playlist bring very different sounds to the table… They’ve made it into Apt613’s Best of 2020 not *only* for producing a sick beat, but we admire these writers for their honesty and the way they use words in a creative fashion.
- “Nottingham Knights” by Vibebymelo [Soundcloud]
- “Tobacco Down, Prayers Up” by Jahkota [Soundcloud]
- “Libra Szn” by Seiiizi feat. Yvng Griot [Bandcamp]
- “Fantômes” by Squerl Noir [Bandcamp]
- “Quarantine” by TheSoulfulPoet [Soundcloud]
- “Spells” by Backxwash feat. Devi McCallion [Bandcamp]
- “Debwe” by Cody Coyote [Bandcamp]
- “Butter on Toast” by Blakdenim [Bandcamp]
- “Lost on Purpose” by Zoo Legacy [Bandcamp]
- “hate 2 be u.” by Maurice Moore [Soundcloud]
- “Shell” by Marie-Clo [Bandcamp]
- “Light & Love” by The Joynt [Soundcloud]
- “Justice for Peace / Justice pour Paix” by Wise Atangana [Bandcamp]
- “Reese’s Pieces” by Vibebymelo feat. Travis Thickle [Soundcloud]
P.S. Most of our favourite 2020 releases came from hip hop artists, so you’ll find a lot of their work in the “Best Of” Bangers (Dec. 30), Dance Party (Dec. 31), and Ottawa Chill (Jan. 1) playlists coming to Apt613.ca this week.