Position Title: Board Member
Position Type: Volunteer 3-6 hours/month
Position Start Date: February 2017
Apartment613 Community Initiatives (Apt613) is an incorporated not-for-profit organizations based in Ottawa. Our main activity is apt613.ca, an award winning blog dedicated to uncovering the best of Ottawa’s arts and culture.
Since our incorporation, we’ve expanded to include a sister sub-site, Sous-Sol 819 and two radio shows (Apt613 Live and Sous-Sol 819, both on CHUO). We also like to get out in the community by organizing events, talks and our very successful Support Local month.
We have a small staff and all of our editors, photographers and contributors contribute their time and talents for free to help spread the word about all the great events happening in our city.
Our board has been composed of co-founders of the blog as well as respected members of the arts community in Ottawa. As some of our members transition to new projects in their lives, we are looking to recruit committed and dynamic individuals to join our Board of Directors.
Board members provide strategic leadership and direction to confirm Apt613’s mission. They approve the strategic plan, oversee and evaluate the plan’s success, assure financial health, provide fundraising leadership and enhance the organization’s public image. Members will serve as ambassadors for Apt613, creating opportunities and nurturing relations in support of its strategic objectives.
Some of the professional expertise currently sought includes
- Sponsorship Development, Grant Writing and/or Fundraising
- Financial Oversight]
- Human Resources (i.e.: recruitment, management; labour code)
- Marketing/PR (including social media)
- WordPress and IT
In general, the following would also be beneficial in a Board candidate:
- Prior experience on a non-profit Board or other related governance experience
- Familiarity with the Ottawa-Gatineau local arts community
- Readiness to support fundraising for Apt613 with ideas, contacts and experience
- Experience in reviewing financial statements and budget forecasts
- English/French bilingual
- Strong communication and networking skills and success in working within a diverse team
- Effective e-communication and readiness to read and digest a substantial volume of documentation
- Attend regular board meetings, AGM
- Stay informed about the organization and community
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities such as reviewing the organization’s annual financial statements
- Represent the organization at functions
- Contributing to the sustainability and growth of Ottawa’s most popular arts and local blog
- Meeting and collaborating with others who are interested in arts and Ottawa culture
- Networking within the community and across industries
- Developing / practicing skills such as, leadership and strategic planning skills; team work; written and verbal communication skills; independent research skills, etc.
This is a 2 year position with an average time commitment of 3-6 hours/month
Board members are expected to attend regular meetings, which last on average 2 hours
Board members are re-elected at the AGM
We encourage a diverse range of applicants. Our goal is to ensure representation of a variety of communities. Minimum age for board members is 18.
Thank you in advance to all those interested. Selected candidates will be contacted by the Board.