There are many ways to be involved in music other than being a musician! If you are passionate about music and supporting artists, and are yearning to have a platform to showcase music you love, we have the perfect workshop for you! Girls+ Rock Ottawa presents Gig Planning 101 in partnership with Debaser.
The Gig Planning 101 Workshop will provide you with an overview of:
- How to organize your first show
- What it takes to put on a successful show
- How to budget for fees and expenses
- Considerations for curating your lineup and putting together a program
- How to create an offer, and negotiate with artists and agents
Receive a Gig Planning Toolkit that includes:
- Steps that outline how to book, manage and promote a show
- Lists of venues and local bands
- Considerations for creating a safer and inclusive space
Facilitated by Rachel Weldon and Amanda Lowe Warnakulasuriya, two experienced local promoters who put together some of the the freshest lineups in town.
While many women, girls, and non-binary (NB) folks play instruments or sing, they are less likely to be encouraged into a career in music, and less likely to be mentored by men (who hold the majority of the jobs in the music industry). G+RO strives to create opportunities for women and NB folks to be mentored and empowered by each others’ knowledge and experiences. Getting involved and booking the show is the most effective way to increase diversity in the artists we see on stage, and the folks that work behind the scenes.
This workshop is a precursor to an 8-week program in development that is set to launch this fall. Participants will apply the knowledge outlined in Gig Planning 101 to plan their own show over the course of eight weeks, from booking to showtime. Gig Planning 101 is not mandatory but would be helpful if you want to take part in the fall program!